The Alliance for Uniform Hazmat Transportation Procedures (aka: HazMat Alliance) is a group of four states — Michigan, Nevada, Oklahoma and West Virginia — that register and permit carriers and shippers of hazardous materials in a uniform manner, utilizing the same application forms and fee assessment calculations.
Though originally conceived of as a way to standardize regulatory requirements nationwide, the recent defection of Ohio leaves only four states remaining as members of the HM Alliance. The remaining states and the type of HazMat each regulates under the HM Alliance is identified below.
- Hazardous waste only
- All hazardous materials (including hazardous waste)
- West Virginia
Contact me with any questions you may have about the transportation of hazardous materials by air, highway, vessel, or rail
International and Domestic
Daniels Training Services, Inc.
If you wish to transport regulated hazardous materials in any of the listed states, you must select a base state and file a HM Alliance application. Follow the steps below to apply for an Alliance HM permit:
- Determine your base state.
- If you will be transporting hazardous waste in Michigan or Oklahoma, calculate total miles traveled in each of the four states (Michigan, Oklahoma, Nevada and West Virginia) for the last twelve months. Your new base state is the state with the highest number of miles traveled.
- If you do not transport hazardous waste in Michigan or Oklahoma, but transport hazardous materials (including waste) in Nevada or West Virginia, calculate total miles traveled in Nevada and West Virginia for the last twelve months. Your new base state is the state with the highest number of miles traveled.
- Register online at https://www.hazmatalliance.org. Make sure you indicate your base state in the appropriate section of the online application.
- If you have any questions, please contact your base state
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality / 586.753.3850 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oklahoma Corporation Commission – Transportation Division / 405.521.2915 / email@example.com
- Nevada Highway Patrol – Hazmat Registration & Permit Section / 775.684.4622 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Service commission of Wewst Virginia – Motor Carrier Section / 304. 340.0456 / email@example.com