What free stuff is available from the US DOT?
The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) of the US DOT provides a wealth of information on its website in the form of guidance documents and training materials. Some of it I use in my training and some of it I use to make my training better. Check out these links and see if you can make use of any of this materials.
DOT HazMat Training Resources
DOT Chart 15: A great guidance document that I use in my HazMat Employee Training. It contains images and information about HazMat Placards, Labels, & Markings. It also has helpful information about the correct use of these three of the four (the remaining hazard communication method is shipping papers) hazard communication methods.
- You can download and print a copy of the DOT Chart 15 for yourself, or;
- Order a glossy printed version from the PHMSA at a low price.
Does Your HazMat Training Measure Up?: A guidance document from the PHMSA that clearly indicates the training a HazMat Employer must provide to its HazMat Employees in order to comply with 49 CFR 172, Subpart H.
- You can download and print a copy of the tri-fold pamphlet, or;
- Order a glossy printed version from the PHMSA for free.
Guide for Preparing HazMat Incident Reports: I used to include this document with my training materials but decided that providing a link to it would be enough. I still include a discussion of HazMat Incident Reports in my HazMat Employee Training. This guidance document will walk you through the process of determining if there has been a HazMat Incident and, if so, how it must be reported.
- Download and print a copy for your own use, or;
- Order free copies from the PHMSA to distribute to interested parties.
Guide to Performance Packaging Codes: This document is an important part of my HazMat Employee Training. It is a very clear and concise way to explain the meaning of the UN Performance Oriented Packaging Marking that must be present and visible on all non-bulk HazMat packaging.
The 2012 Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG): The ERG or the information it provides must be made immediately available to emergency responders in the event of a HazMat Incident. It is the responsibility of the Shipper to provide this information to the Carrier and to have it available at its facility to its HazMat Employees wherever it ships or receives hazardous materials.
- Download a pdf of the entire 2012 ERG,
- Purchase in book form or CD-ROM from US DOT,
- Purchase in book form or CD-ROM from commercial printers, or;
- Download the mobile app from US DOT (iPhone or Android).
You may also be interested in my article summarizing the US DOT announcement of the release of the mobile app.
See the various types of DOT HazMat Training offered through Daniels Training Services.