“In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” – Benjamin Franklin, 1817.
One benefit of those taxes is the resources provided to you free of charge from government agencies. One of those agencies, the PHMSA within the US DOT, makes available a wealth of resources on its website meant to assist HazMat Employers to identify and meet their requirements under the Hazardous Material Regulations (HMR).
One of those free resources I wish to share with you is the glossy brochure Does Your HazMat Training Measure Up? You may place a bulk order of these and have them delivered to your door or you can download and print a copy for yourself from the PHMSA website. I suggest you have a copy of the brochure at hand as I summarize its contents below.
HazMat Employee Training Requirements:
- The source of the HMR is the Federal hazardous materials transportation law (49 U.S.C. 5101 et seq.) which requires the training of ALL HazMat Employees.
- HazMat Employer requirements to train and test its HazMat Employees.
- The elements that must be included in HazMat training.
- Training frequency – every three years.
- Documentation of training. This must be done exactly as the PHMSA requires.
I couldn’t say it better myself, so I won’t. Read the brochure to confirm the following:
- HazMat Employer
- HazMat Employee
Frequently Asked Questions:
A few key FAQ’s…
- Who can conduct HazMat Employee training?
- What are the requirements for the test?
- Does an office secretary who completes a shipping paper (includes a hazardous waste manifest) require training?
- And many more…
Some Very Good Reasons to Ensure Your Training “Measures Up”:
- “Most transportation incidents involving hazardous materials are the result of human error.”
- Heightens Employee Safety
- Precludes Penalties
- Increase Productivity
Where You Can Get More Information:
Contact information for the PHMSA and its HazMat Info-Line
Additional Training Sources:
There is more available from the PHMSA; some for free and others at a reasonable charge.
You may decide that with these resources you can provide the training for your HazMat Employees. Or, you may feel overwhelmed and determine that you should hire someone *ahem* to provide the training, testing, and record documentation for you. HazMat Employee training that “Measures Up” is part of what I do. I also provide the training required by the US EPA for generators of hazardous waste, read more about that training here.
I can provide this very important training in any format or location to suit your needs:
- On-site training tailored specifically to your facility’s needs. Contact me to schedule on-site training for only $1,749!
- Open enrollment training which provides an in-depth overview of all of the regulations in one day. Review my open enrollment training schedule and register now!
- Keynote speaker or provide an educational session at your organization’s meeting or annual expo free of charge. Contact me to discuss this further.
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter to receive articles like this every month. No marketing emails at all, I promise.